Steamed leeks with burrata and basil is a winning combination that can be served as an appetizer or side dish!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I’ve always loved leeks – but as part of the onion familiar they’re mid-range in carbohydrate count when compared to other vegetables – one medium leek contains about 11g net carbs. But I do serve them on special occasions, either with a blue cheese sauce or a white sauce. That is, until I discovered how wonderfully they paired with basil and burrata! You can serve this dish as an appetizer or side dish – and it will certainly get people talking!
Trim and halve the leeks lengthways. Steam them until tender – I use a microwave vegetable steamer which is perfect for leeks.
They need about 7-8 minutes on high, but it might vary for different microwaves and personal preferences. Transfer them to a serving platter, then drizzle over some olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, and sprinkle with finely sliced fresh basil leaves.
Finally, carefully place the burrata on top of the leeks.
If you fancy being dramatic, cut open the burrata at the table so everyone can see the gorgeous creamy center spill out onto the leeks (see a video of it on Instagram!).Steamed Leeks with Burrata #lowcarb #burrata Click To Tweet
- 4 medium leeks trimmed and halved lengthways
- 1 tbs olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves finely sliced
- 8 oz whole ball of burrata
- Steam the leeks until tender - about 7-8 minutes on high in a microwave vegetable steamer.
- Transfer the cooked leeks to a serving platter, then drizzle over the olive oil. Season with salt and black pepper, and sprinkle with the basil.
- Finally, carefully place the burrata on top of the leeks.
11g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!