These pepper-crusted tuna steaks are served with a punchy low carb wasabi sauce! Keto and gluten free recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I haven't cooked fresh tuna in well over a year! So I was really excited to come up with a fitting sauce to go with some beautiful tuna steaks that I picked up. And what could go better with a rare tuna steak than some fiery wasabi?!? This easy low carb wasabi sauce has plenty of heat and flavor, but it is softened slightly by the cream – a wonderful combination!
How to Make Tuna Steaks with Low Carb Wasabi Sauce
To crust the tuna steaks I used a seasoned black pepper blend, but you could always mix up your own with some ground black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Pour out some of the pepper mix onto a plate, and press the tuna steaks into the pepper on both sides. Set aside.
To make the sauce, add heavy cream, wasabi paste, soy sauce and a little xanthan gum to a small saucepan. The xanthan gum is optional, but it is a zero carb thickener that is really useful, and makes this sauce even better! With the wasabi, I'd suggest adding a little at a time, then blending and tasting. You can always add more!
Whisk the ingredients together, then cook on a low heat until it has warmed through and thickened.
Heat a hot skillet and fry the steaks. I like mine super rare, so just a couple of minutes on each side. Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and cut them into slices. Place the tuna on a serving plate (I served mine with sautéed zoodles), then pour the wasabi sauce over the top. Garnish with a few slices of green onion.
- 2 tuna steaks
- seasoned pepper blend, or a combination of ground black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1-2 tsp wasabi paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce, or tamari for gluten free
- pinch xanthan gum
- 2 green onions, sliced (for garnish)
- To crust the tuna steaks, pour out some of the pepper mix onto a plate, and press the tuna steaks into the pepper on both sides. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, add the cream, wasabi paste, soy sauce, and xanthan gum to a small saucepan. Whisk the ingredients together, then cook on a low heat until it has warmed through and thickened.
- Heat a hot skillet and fry the steaks until cooked to your liking.
- Transfer the tuna to a cutting board and cut them into slices. Place the tuna on a serving plate, then pour the wasabi sauce over the top. Garnish with a few slices of green onion.
3g net carbs per serving
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 458Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 146mgSodium 258mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 0gProtein 41g
Adapted from Celebration Generation.