This stacked warm caprese salad is perfect for a low carb appetizer.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Tomato, basil, mozzarella. Such a classic Italian combination of flavors – and this dish really highlights all three of them!
Find the recipe below – or check out my video tutorial!
Using a serrated knife, cut a beefsteak tomato into thin slices. Slice a ball of mozzarella into the same number of slices as the tomato. On a baking sheet lined with foil or a silicone mat, place two slices of tomato. Then add a slice of mozzarella and a large fresh basil leaf.
Keep layering, finishing with mozzarella. Grind some black pepper over the top.
Place under a preheated broiler for 4-5 minutes or until the mozzarella starts to melt. Use a slotted spatula/turner to transfer the stacks to a serving plate.
Quickly whisk together a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil, then drizzle it over the top. Add extra fresh basil leaves and serve.Warm Caprese Stack - an Italian #lowcarb appetizer Click To Tweet
- 1 beefsteak tomato
- 1 fresh mozzarella ball
- 4-6 fresh basil leaves plus extra for garnish
- black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the broiler.
- Cut the tomato and mozzarella into slices.
- Place two tomato slices on a baking sheet (lined with a silicone mat or foil). Add layers of basil, mozzarella and more tomato, finishing with mozzarella.
- Grind black pepper over the stacks and place under the broiler for 4-5 minutes or until the cheese has started to melt. Transfer to two serving plates.
- Whisk together the balsamic and oil, then drizzle it over the top of each stack and serve.
6g net carbs per serving
If you love Caprese, try my new version with avocado!
Check out my Low Carb Recipe Ebook!
If you adore Italian food, you'll love this collection of delicious 25 low carb Italian recipes!