These avocado caprese stacks feature tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, avocado, and basil. A wonderful low carb and keto appetizer or lunch recipe!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Ah, the splendid combination of tomato, fresh mozzarella and basil. How can it get any better?!? Well I *thought* I had the answer when I created my delicious Warm Caprese Stack recipe – but the simple addition of avocado works REALLY well! It makes the dish more filling, but keeps it low carb. Win/win!
Check out all my low carb avocado recipes.
How to Make an Avocado Caprese Appetizer
Slice a large tomato into four slices. Any type will do – I've used beefsteak before and shown below in an heirloom variety. The tomato just needs to be large than a standard ball of mozzarella.
Cut an avocado across the middle, not lengthways – you need rings, not wedges. Remove the skin from the stone-free side, then slice it into four rounds.
Carefully remove the stone from the other half, then repeat the same process of removing the skin and slicing. Slice a ball of fresh mozzarella into eight slices. Layer the mozzarella and avocado onto the tomato, starting with the largest slices and then alternating.
Transfer the stacks to two serving plates, drizzle some good extra virgin olive oil over everything, and season with a generous amount of black pepper.
Finish with a garnish of sliced fresh basil leaves.
Serve as a vegetarian appetizer or a light lunch! And the best way to eat it is in vertical slices so that you get a little bit of everything: the peppery basil, the soft and creamy mozzarella and avocado, and the acidic tomato!Avocado Caprese Stack - a #lowcarb, #keto, and #glutenfree recipe Click To Tweet
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 (8 oz) ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced into 8 rounds
- 1 large tomato, cut into 4 slices horizontally
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- black pepper
- 4 tbs sliced fresh basil leaves
- Cut the avocado across the middle, not lengthways - you need rings, not wedges. Remove the skin from the stone-free side, then slice it into four rounds.
- Carefully remove the stone from the other half, then repeat the same process of removing the skin and slicing into four rounds.
- Layer the mozzarella and avocado onto each slice of tomato, starting with the largest slices and then alternating.
- Transfer the stacks to two serving plates, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil over everything, and season with a generous amount of black pepper.
- Finish with a garnish of basil.
6g net carbs per serving of two stacks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Two stacks
Amount Per Serving Calories 494Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 73mgSodium 590mgCarbohydrates 14gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 8gSugar 4gProtein 23g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.