These individual low carb chicken pies are filled with spinach and a creamy white sauce, then topped with mashed cauliflower!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Creamy chicken and healthy spinach, topped with mashed cauliflower – this recipe is a real winner! You will, however, need to print out two other recipes to make this chicken pie – but they're super easy ones! I'd recommend making the cauliflower mash in advance (or first) as it's one less thing to do when you assemble these pies! But if you're on the ball you can make all the components at the same time.
Cauliflower Mash – You can keep the horseradish in or leave it out – whichever you prefer! You'll need about two cups of mash (about 10 oz).
White Sauce – Super easy – and works every time! Once you discover this recipe you'll use it for all kinds of dishes!
How to Make Individual Low Carb Chicken Pies
Make the cauliflower first (unless you have it leftover or made in advance) and set aside.
To make the chicken base, cut two chicken breasts into bite sized pieces.
Heat some oil in a large skillet and cook the chicken pieces, seasoning with salt and pepper as they cook. Add some baby spinach and continue to cook until it has thoroughly wilted.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and spinach and transfer them to two individual baking dishes – I love these 12oz Au Gratin dishes from Ayesha Curry Kitchenware – you can get them from Amazon!
Make the white sauce according to the recipe, making sure you season generously with salt and pepper. Divide the sauce between the two dishes.
Spoon the cauli mash over the filled dishes.
Place the baking dishes on a sheet pan (the sauce can sometimes bubble over – so this is just to catch the spills and make clean-up easier!). Place in a preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden brown.
The sauce may appear thin at first, but leave these low carb chicken pies for five minutes before serving, and it will thicken up as it cools!
Oh and a quick note about carb count: these pies come out at 8g net carbs each. Which might sound like a lot but over 4g of that is the sauce. This is because this recipe uses double portions of the sauce because it uses one egg yolk which can't be halved. So, if you want to reduce the carb count by 2g, you could use only half the sauce, or double the other ingredients and make four pies, but divide one batch of the sauce between the four pies!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and black pepper
- 2 large handfuls of fresh baby spinach
- 1 batch of low carb white sauce, see separate recipe
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower mash, see separate recipe
- Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
- Cook the cauliflower mash according to the recipe instructions and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet and cook the chicken pieces, seasoning with salt and pepper as they cook. Add the baby spinach and continue to cook until it has thoroughly wilted.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and spinach and transfer them to two 12oz baking dishes.
- Make the white sauce according to the recipe, then divide the sauce between the two dishes.
- Spoon the cauliflower mash over the filled dishes and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden brown.
- Leave for 5 minutes before serving.
8g net carbs per serving (one pie)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 Pie
Amount Per Serving Calories 819Total Fat 64gSaturated Fat 36gCholesterol 369mgSodium 1046mgCarbohydrates 11.5gNet Carbohydrates 8gFiber 3.5gSugar 3gProtein 48g