These low carb chocolate croissants are made with FatHead dough! They're sugar free, keto, LCHF, gluten free – and super filling!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
As you have probably noticed, I'm really into experimenting with FatHead dough right now – and after I made some AMAZING low carb cinnamon rolls using this low carb and high fat dough, I really wanted to try another sweet recipe.
I should add a brief disclaimer that the dough isn't flakey and light, like proper croissant dough. However. If everyone around you was enjoying the high carb equivalent – you're going to feel happy with this alternative. As keto croissants go – it's pretty good!!!
Just to backtrack briefly, in case you aren't familiar with this dough – it is made with mild mozzarella, cream cheese, almond flour, and egg. It's typically used for savory recipes but it doesn't take much to make it a “neutral” or even sweet dough. Read more about it in my Ultimate Guide to FatHead Dough!
By the way, if you're looking for a good low carb sweetener, try Lakanto! You can get 20% off everything in their store if you use coupon code SAFTC!
What's in this Article?
How to Make Low Carb Chocolate Croissants
To prepare these chocolaty rolls, you'll need one batch of FatHead dough (check out the guide mentioned above for step-by-step photos or scroll down to the printable recipe card below), plus some low carb chocolate. I talk about chocolate a lot in my collection of 50+ Low Carb Treats, but my top recommendations would be Lily's Original Dark Chocolate (buy it in Whole Foods, on Amazon, or from Netrition) or ChocZero (check them out on Amazon).
Check out my video on how to make the basic Fathead dough (you'll just have to add sweetener for this recipe)!
After you've made the dough, portion it into six balls. Slightly flatten each ball in your hand and place two small pieces of chocolate (I used Lily's) across the center.
Fold the dough over the top and press to seal it closed. It's OK if the chocolate is poking out at each end but you don't want it to be overhanging the dough. Place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. And yes – I know they don't look like much right now – but keep going!
Bake them in a preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until browned all over and the dough is cooked through. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
The chocolate will be gently melted and the warm dough is so comforting. And they're really filling!
Here's what they look like inside:
Ready to give sweet FatHead dough a chance?!?
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Place the mozzarella and cream cheese in a medium size microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir and then cook for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the beaten egg, sweetener, and almond flour.
- Let the dough cool slightly, then knead until smooth. Add a little extra almond flour if the dough is too sticky, then knead again.
- Portion the dough into six balls. Slightly flatten each ball in your hand and place two small pieces of chocolate across the center.
- Fold the dough over the top and press to seal it closed. It's OK if the chocolate is poking out at each end but you don't want it to be overhanging the dough.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat and bake them in a preheated oven for 15-18 minutes or until browned all over and the dough is cooked through. Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
3g net carbs per serving (one "croissant")
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 "Croissant"
Amount Per ServingCalories 218Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 54mgSodium 201mgCarbohydrates 7gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 4gProtein 10g
Check out my Low Carb Chocolate Recipes Ebook!
If you adore chocolate - you'll love my book! Over 60 amazing recipes - all low carb, sugar free, and gluten free!
Check out my Low Carb Snacks Recipes Ebook!
If you need more snack ideas, check out my book! Over 70 delicious sweet and savory recipes - all low carb, sugar free, and gluten free!