This crab Florentine bake is low in carbs but high in comfort!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This warming and comforting baked dish is full of spinach, cream, and crab. This recipe makes two very generous entree portions if served with a salad, but you may prefer to divide it between three or four people and add a more substantial side dish.
Cook a box of spinach according to the packet instructions. Squeeze and drain out as much water as possible, then spread it over the base of a small baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray.
In a saucepan, melt some butter. Add flour and garlic. I don’t usually cook with flour but this recipe doesn’t need very much. If you want to avoid flour altogether you could try amending my white sauce recipe which would work just as well. Cook for a minute or two, then add heavy cream, water and a little white wine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, stirring regularly.
Add some shredded Parmesan, then some cooked crab meat. I used a small tub of claw crab meat for this recipe but if you only had canned crab then you could substitute it if necessary. But remember that the crab is the star of the show for this dish!
Stir well, and check for seasoning. The first time I made this I omitted to add any salt which was a big mistake! So make sure you don’t skip this stage. Pour the crab mixture over the top of the spinach. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes until it is cooked through and bubbly.
Serve with salad or side dish of choice!
#lowcarb #comfortfood - Crab Florentine Bake! Click To Tweet
Low Carb Crab Florentine BakePrint
- 10 oz box of frozen spinach
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tbs flour
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbs white wine
- 2 tbs shredded Parmesan
- 8 oz crab meat
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cook the spinach according to box instructions. Drain thoroughly, then spread over the base of a small baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, then add garlic and flour. Cook for 1-2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cream, water and wine, and cook until thickened, stirring regularly.
- Add the Parmesan and crab, stir well and check for seasoning. Pour the mixture over the top of the spinach.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through and bubbly.
7g net carbs per serving
Adapted from the book Low-Carb Meals.