This turnip soup makes a wonderfully warming and filling lunch! Low carb and gluten free recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
If you're missing soups like cream of potato, then this low carb alternative is for you! It's actually almost dairy free, too – apart from a tiny amount of butter. All that creaminess is from the turnips! It's satisfying and deeply savory, and would be a fantastic soup to come back to after a walk on a cold day!
Are you a soup fan? Check out all my low carb soup recipes!
How to Make Low Carb Turnip Soup
To make the base for the turnip soup, peel and cube the turnips. Add oil and butter to a large pan and place over a medium heat. Add the turnips, onion powder, and dried thyme. Cover and cook until the turnips start to turn tender, about 7-8 minutes.
Add some chicken broth and bring to the boil. Reduce down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
Use a stick blender to blend everything until smooth – or you could transfer the soup to a regular blender.
Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary. Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with chopped green onions and fresh thyme leaves.
Serve this turnip soup as a warming and satisfying lunch!
Are Turnips Keto?
Pre-low-carbing days I would eat parsnips or carrots if I wanted a root vegetable. So I was interested to learn that one medium turnip (approx. 4oz) contains only 6g net carbs in total! They can be grilled, roasted or mashed – basically most ways of cooking that are used for potatoes can also be used for turnips. So it's not something that you want in every meal, but definitely MUCH lower in carbs than other similar vegetables.
Check out all my keto and low carb turnip recipes!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 4 medium turnips, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 3 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- fresh thyme and green onions, for garnish
- Add the oil and butter to a large pan and place over a medium heat. Add the turnips, onion powder, and dried thyme. Cover and cook until the turnips start to turn tender.
- Add some chicken broth and bring to the boil. Reduce down to a simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Use a stick blender (or transfer everything to a regular blender) to blend everything until smooth. Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary.
- Transfer to serving bowls and garnish with chopped green onions and fresh thyme leaves.
9g net carbs per serving (quarter of whole recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 116Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 7mgSodium 789mgCarbohydrates 12gNet Carbohydrates 9gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 2g