This key lime smoothie is low carb, filling, and nutritious! A keto friendly recipe made with almond milk and avocado.
This post may contain affiliate links.
I haven't used key limes too many times on this blog – in fact I think the only other time is this Keto Crustless Key Lime Pie – and I used bottled key lime juice for that dessert!
So when I saw some fresh key limes in the store recently I really wanted to make them into something. I had a ripe avocado ready to be eaten, and the whole concept came together.
If you only have access to the bottled juice, here are some good equivalents for you, courtesy of Gourmet Sleuth:
- 1 lb = 16 key limes
- 12 key limes = about ½ cup key lime juice
- 1 medium key lime = 2 – 3 teaspoons of juice
Remember the juice content of a lime may change depending on the time of year and the age of the lime.
Check out all my recipes for low carb smoothies and shakes!
How to Make a Low Carb Key Lime Smoothie
Squeeze the key limes by cutting them in half and squeezing as much juice out as possible. Juicing the limes isn't as easy as regular limes because they are so much smaller. You could use a garlic press, ricer or even a regular handheld lemon squeezer. I found I could get both halves of a key lime in at the same time and juice it effectively.
Once the limes are juiced, add the juice to a blender together with unsweetened almond milk, half a ripe avocado, ice, and a liquid sweetener. By choice I'll always use my homemade simple syrup!
Blend until smooth. Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener as required. Serve immediately – this recipe makes two servings.
- 12 key limes
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ ripe avocado
- 4 ice cubes
- 2 tbs homemade simple syrup
- Squeeze the key limes by cutting them in half and squeezing as much juice out as possible. You could use a garlic press, ricer or regular handheld lemon squeezer. This creates approximately ½ cup of key lime juice.
- Add the juice to a blender together with unsweetened almond milk, half a ripe avocado, ice, and a liquid sweetener.
- Blend until smooth. Taste for sweetness and add more sweetener as required.
- Serve immediately.
5g net carbs per serving (half the recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 110Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 6mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 5gFiber 4gSugar 1gProtein 2g