These low carb meringues have a delicious chocolaty swirl that runs through them!
This post may contain affiliate links.
If you have a sweet tooth you're going to love these low carb meringues! They're perfect for when you want a sweet treat – and they also make a great topping for low carb ice cream!
For this recipe I used Confectioner's Style Swerve, which is a low carb and keto friendly sweetener. It's the only powdered sweetener I've found that I like!
How to Make Low Carb Meringues
In a stand mixer, beat together the egg whites, powdered sweetener and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
Spoon out about a third of the mixture (doesn't have to be exact!) into a bowl and set aside. To the remaining egg whites, add some vanilla and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Set that aside in a bowl.
Return the original bowl of egg whites to the stand mixer. Mix together some cocoa powder and a little water in a small bowl to form a thick paste. Add this to the stand mixer and beat until stiff peaks form. Very gently combine the two mixtures, folding just once or twice.
Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Pipe small swirls of the meringue mixture onto a baking tray lined with a silicone mat. This recipe makes about 24 meringues of about 1.5″ diameter.
Bake in a preheated oven (set to 200F) for one hour, then turn the oven off but leave the meringues in the oven for another three hours. At the end of that time they should be crisp and ready to eat!
Store in an airtight container. They keep for weeks!
And if you have some left over that you want to use up? Try them in my low carb twist on an English classic dessert: Eton Mess!Low carb meringues with a cocoa swirl #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 2 egg whites
- ⅛ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ cup confectioner's Swerve
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp water
- Preheat the oven to 200F (95C).
- Add the egg whites, cream of tartar and sweetener to a stand mixer bowl, then whisk until soft peaks form.
- Spoon a third of the mixture into a separate bowl and set aside.
- With the remaining two thirds, add the vanilla and whisk until stiff peaks form. Transfer to a separate bowl.
- Return the one third mixture to the stand mixer. Combine the water and cocoa powder together in a small bowl to form a paste. Add it to the stand mixer and whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the vanilla mixture into the cocoa mixture with just a few strokes.
- Spoon the combined mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Pipe out onto a baking tray lined with silicone mat or baking parchment. This recipe makes about 24 meringues.
- Bake for one hour, turn off the heat, and leave the meringues in the oven with the door closed for three hours or until crisp.
- Store in an airtight container.
This recipe makes 24 small meringues.
0.2g net carbs per serving (four meringues).
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 4 small meringues
Amount Per Serving Calories 7Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gSodium 17mgCarbohydrates 1gNet Carbohydrates 0.2gFiber 0.8gSugar 1gProtein 1g