This delicious low carb moussaka is always a hit in my house!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Classic entrees like lasagna and moussaka are wonderful when you need some comfort food, and there’s no reason why you should miss out when there are great low carb recipes like this around. A regular moussaka usually has layers of potato as well as eggplant, and a white sauce made from milk and flour. Serve this comforting dish with a Greek salad for a taste of the Mediterranean!
First, make the meat sauce. Warm some olive oil in a large pan and add some ground lamb. Cook until the meat has browned all over. Add garlic, red wine, onion powder, dried oregano and tomato sauce (the kind from a can – not ketchup!). Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and black pepper as necessary.
Prepare the topping by mixing together ricotta, shredded Parmesan and an egg, then set it aside. Prepare the eggplant by peeling and slicing it thinly. Peeling is optional but it’s how we prefer it in my house – I think the eggplant “relaxes” more without the skin, and melds with the other ingredients better.
Once the sauce has cooked, spritz some non-stick spray into the base of a large baking dish, add a spoonful of the sauce and spread it around. Add a layer of eggplant, then spread some sauce over, and sprinkle on some shredded cheese. Repeat until all the eggplant and sauce have been used, finishing with the sauce.
Spread the topping mixture over everything, making sure all the eggplant is covered by either the sauce or topping. Add extra cheese if you like!
Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes. Serve with salad.
Low Carb Moussaka #lowcarb #lchf #moussaka Click To Tweet
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup red wine
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- non-stick spray
- 1 medium eggplant peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded cheese
- 8 oz ricotta
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- To make the meat sauce, heat the oil in a large pan then add the ground lamb. Cook until browned.
- Add the other meat sauce ingredients, bring to a boil, then let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spray a baking dish with non-stick baking spray and add a little of the meat sauce to the base.
- Layer the eggplant slices with the meat sauce, adding some shredded cheese to each layer. Finish with the meat sauce.
- To make the topping, combine the three topping ingredients together in a bowl. Spread over the meat and eggplant.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
9g net carbs per serving
Check out my Low Carb Family Favorites Ebook!
Are you looking for low carb recipes for the whole family to enjoy? Check out my book!