This delicious low carb mushroom soup with tarragon is earthy, deeply savory, and perfect for a cold day! Keto friendly recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Do you love soup? Sometimes it makes the perfect lunch – especially on a cold day! This soup either makes four medium servings which would work well as an appetizer – or two very generous large portions!! The tarragon combines perfectly with the earthy mushrooms for a real taste of France!
How to Make a Low Carb Mushroom Soup
To make the base of the soup, melt some butter and olive oil in a large saucepan. Add sliced white mushrooms, onion powder and dried tarragon. If I'm feeling really lazy I buy ready sliced mushrooms!! Cook over medium heat for ten minutes, stirring regularly.
Remove a quarter of the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add beef stock, bring to the boil, and then simmer for five minutes.
Carefully pour the soup into a blender (I love my Ninja!!!) and pulse until smooth. Return everything to a saucepan including the reserved mushrooms, check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. You can prepare the soup in advance, or serve it straight away!
The tarragon adds some wonderful flavor to the earthy mushrooms – but it doesn't overpower. You could add a garnish to the low carb mushroom soup like some fresh tarragon or a swirl of heavy cream – or keep it simple and eat it on its own!
Perfect for the winter: rustic #lowcarb mushroom soup! Click To Tweet
Low Carb Mushroom Soup
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 16 oz sliced white mushrooms
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- 32 oz (4 cups) beef broth
- salt and black pepper
- fresh tarragon and/or heavy cream to garnish
- Melt the olive oil and butter together in a large pan.
- Add the mushrooms, onion powder and tarragon, and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove a quarter of the mushrooms and set aside.
- Add beef broth, bring to the boil, then simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender and pulse until smooth. Return the soup to the saucepan.
- Add the reserved mushrooms back into the soup and test for seasoning.
- Serve garnished with fresh tarragon and/or a swirl of heavy cream.