This rustic low carb mushroom soup is earthy, deeply savory, and perfect for a cold day!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Do you love soup? Sometimes it makes the perfect lunch – especially on a cold day! This soup either makes four medium servings which would work well as an appetizer – or two very generous large portions!!
Melt some butter and olive oil in a large saucepan. Add sliced mushrooms, onion powder and dried tarragon. If I’m feeling really lazy I buy ready sliced mushrooms!! Cook over medium heat for ten minutes. Add beef stock, bring to the boil, and then simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove a quarter of the mushrooms with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour the rest of the soup into a blender (I love my Ninja!!!) and pulse until smooth. Return everything to a saucepan, check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed. You can prepare the soup in advance, or serve it straight away!
The tarragon adds some wonderful flavor to the earthy mushrooms – but it doesn’t overpower. You could add a garnish to the low carb mushroom soup like some fresh parsley, a little grated cheese or a swirl of heavy cream – or keep it simple and eat it on its own!
Perfect for the winter: rustic #lowcarb mushroom soup! Click To Tweet
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- 32 oz (4 cups) beef broth
- salt and black pepper
- fresh parsley and/or heavy cream to garnish
- Melt the olive oil and butter together in a large pan.
- Add the mushrooms, onion powder and tarragon, and cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add beef broth, bring to the boil, then simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove a quarter of the mushrooms and set aside. Pour the rest of the soup into a blender and pulse until smooth.
- Add the mushrooms back into the soup and test for seasoning. Return to the pan to keep warm until needed.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley and/or a swirl of heavy cream.
Two large servings: 5g net carbs per serving