These lamb and eggplant meatballs are seasoned with cumin and mint and are SO delicious! Low carb, gluten free and keto recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
These meatballs aren't dense in the slightest. Even when fully cooked, they remain light due to the eggplant – and yet filling! Putting eggplant into meatballs is an unusual idea, but try it – I think you'll agree with me that it works! I would serve these for an appetizer or snack, but you could also serve them as a main meal with cauliflower rice or similar!
I've used fresh mint in this recipe, but if you only have dried mint then use just one teaspoon. And if you can't find ground lamb – these meatballs also work perfectly with ground meat!
Check all my recipes for best low carb meatballs!
How to Make Lamb and Eggplant Meatballs
Cook one large (or two small) eggplants in the microwave by pricking it all over with a fork (no explosions, thank you!) and placing it on a plate.
Cook on full power until the sides of the eggplant start to collapse. Cut it open and it should be soft inside.
Scoop out the flesh, breaking it apart as you go – like you were pulling pork or chicken. Place in a large bowl with ground lamb, almond flour, ground cumin, and onion powder.
Stir well, add a beaten egg and some chopped fresh mint, and mix again. If you're used to ground beef Italian-style meatballs this mixture will look VERY different, but keep going! Season generously with salt and black pepper.
Form 24 golf-ball sized meatballs and place them on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Roast in a preheated oven for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through. The spices will make your kitchen smell fantastic!
Serve warm with low carb tzatziki or sour cream.
- 1 large eggplant or 2 small eggplants (about 12 oz total)
- 1 lb ground lamb
- ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 tbs chopped fresh mint
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 380F.
- Prick the eggplant(s) with a fork, place on a plate in the microwave and cook until starting to collapse, approx 5-7 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool enough to touch, then cut it open and scoop out the flesh, breaking it apart as you go - like you were pulling pork or chicken. Place in a large bowl with the lamb, almond flour, cumin, and onion powder.
- Stir well, then add the beaten egg and mint, and mix again. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Form 24 golf-ball sized meatballs and place them on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Roast for 18-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve warm with low carb tzatziki or sour cream.
Makes 24 meatballs. 5.5g net carbs per serving of 4 meatballs.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 4 meatballs
Amount Per Serving Calories 333Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 104mgSodium 173mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 5.5gFiber 3.5gSugar 2gProtein 23g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Check out my Low Carb Snacks Recipes Ebook!
If you need more snack ideas, check out my book! Over 70 delicious sweet and savory recipes - all low carb, sugar free, and gluten free!