These lamb and eggplant meatballs are super soft, moist and delicious. And low carb, of course!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
These meatballs aren’t dense in the slightest. Even when fully cooked, they remain light due to the eggplant – and yet filling! Putting eggplant into meatballs is an unusual idea, but try it – I think you’ll agree with me that it works!
Cook the eggplant in the microwave by pricking it all over with a fork (no explosions, thank you!) and placing it on a plate. Cook on full power until the sides of the eggplant start to collapse. Cut it open and it should be soft inside.
Scoop out the flesh, breaking it apart as you go – like you were pulling pork or chicken. Place in a large bowl with ground lamb, finely chopped green onions, onion powder, cumin, turmeric, dried mint and almond flour.
Stir well, add a beaten egg, and mix again. If you’re used to ground beef Italian-style meatballs this mixture will look VERY different, but keep going! Spoon out 24 balls onto two baking trays lined with silicone mats or parchment paper. The mixture will feel fairly loose, but will firm up during cooking.
Bake in a preheated oven (at 380F) for 18-20 minutes until cooked through. The spices will make your kitchen smell fantastic!
Amazing lamb and eggplant #lowcarb #meatballs - these have got to be tried! Click To Tweet
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 3 green onions finely chopped
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp dried mint
- 1 egg beaten
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 380F.
- Prick the eggplant with a fork, place on a plate in the microwave and cook until starting to collapse, approx 5-7 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool enough to touch, then cut it open and scoop out the flesh into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Divide the mixture into 24 balls and place on two baking trays lined with silicone mats or parchment paper.
- Cook in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until cooked through.
Makes 24 meatballs. 5.5g net carbs per serving of 6 meatballs.