This raspberry and mascarpone ice cream is a wonderful low carb indulgence! Sugar free, LCHF and keto friendly recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Are you familiar with mascarpone? It’s a slightly sweet, soft Italian cheese – and is one of the key components to tiramisu. I’ve made my own mascarpone before, but for this recipe you can definitely just use store-bought.
I’ve also use fresh raspberries for this amazingly creamy ice cream, but you could definitely try using a different berry if you prefer.
As well as tasting great, making an ice cream that contains egg yolks and a high fat content is great for making it softer – if you’d like more ideas check out my top tips on making Soft Scoop Low Carb Ice Cream!
The recipe starts by making a custard – with a bain marie (double boiler) arrangement. It’s extra work but it really is worth it! All you need to do is add an egg, four egg yolks, and some low carb sweetener (I used Lakanto – a really good monkfruit blend – but you could also use xylitol or Swerve) to a bowl, and place over a pan of simmering water. Keep whisking them over a low-medium heat.
(Tip: Need to use up the egg whites that are left over? Try making these low carb meringues – they make a great topping for this ice cream!!)
When the mixture is thick and foamy (this may take ten minutes or so), remove the bowl from the pan and place over ice.
In a stand mixer, whisk together the mascarpone, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. When soft peaks have formed, gently folded in the egg yolk mixture.
Stir in some chopped fresh raspberries, and pour everything into an ice cream maker.
After churning, transfer it to a large dish, and place it in the freezer for at least four hours.
This ice cream is definitely a crowd pleaser – whether they follow a low carb diet or not! It tastes SO good! Although you should try and stick to the serving size (half a cup) for anyone following a “normal” diet – as they may not appreciate the high fat content!
Low Carb Raspberry and Mascarpone Ice Cream! #lowcarb #sugarfree #LCHF Click To Tweet
Low Carb Raspberry and Mascarpone Ice Cream
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks
- ¼ cup low carb sweetener Lakanto or similar
- ½ cup mascarpone
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 3 oz fresh raspberries chopped
- Add the egg, egg yolks, and sweetener to a bowl, and place it over a saucepan of simmering water. Keep whisking over a low-medium heat.
- When the mixture is thick and foamy (this may take ten minutes or so), remove the bowl from the pan and place over ice.
- In a stand mixer, whisk together the mascarpone, vanilla extract, and heavy cream. When soft peaks have formed, gently folded in the egg yolk mixture.
- Stir in the raspberries, and pour everything into an ice cream maker.
- After churning, transfer it to a large dish, and place it in the freezer for at least four hours.
This post was originally published as a review of Sugar Free Kitchen from Parragon books. Order a copy from Amazon today!