This salmon gratin is creamy, satisfying, and delicious! Low carb, keto, LCHF and gluten free recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
So this is the fifth gratin recipe on the site! If you're “Au” such a gratin fan (geddit?!?!) – check out the others: Asparagus Gratin, Oyster Gratin (oh yes!), Fennel Gratin and Spaghetti Squash Gratin. They're all quite different, and this salmon gratin is definitely worth trying. Yes, it's high in fat, but it's very filling and low in carbs (of course)! It's creamier than my other gratins, and the combination of the light cooked salmon, the aniseedy tarragon and that cream – not to mention the crunchy cheese topping – all come together for a hugely satisfying dish.
In this recipe, the salmon is actually cooked twice – both indirectly. It first gets a citrus bath (much like a ceviche), and then is broiled under a layer of cheese. The result is super soft salmon that just melts in the mouth. This dish was a big hit with my husband – and I know you're going to love it, too!
How to Make Low Carb Salmon Gratin
To prepare the fish, remove skin (if any) and cut the salmon portions into cubes.
Place it in a bowl and add fresh lemon juice.
Stir, then cover and leave for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes. Meanwhile, finely chop a large shallot.
Add some olive oil to a small skillet and place over a medium heat. Add the shallot and some garlic, and cook until the onion is tender.
Divide the mixture between two large ramekins or two small baking dishes.
Drain (and discard) the juice from the salmon, and add heavy cream, chopped fresh tarragon, salt and pepper.
Stir well, then spoon the mixture on top of the onion. Finally, sprinkle some shredded Swiss cheese over each dish.
Place under a preheated broiler until the cheese has melted and has turned golden brown. I recommend placing the dishes one rack lower than you might usually – you want the salmon to warm through before the cheese burns!
Serve with a salad or side dish of your choice!
- 2 skinless salmon portions, cubed
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- ½ tsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbs fresh tarragon, chopped
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Place the salmon in a bowl and add the lemon juice. Stir, then cover and leave for 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the olive oil to a small skillet and place over a medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic, and cook until the shallot is tender. Divide the mixture between two large ramekins or two small baking dishes.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Drain (and discard) the juice from the salmon, and add the heavy cream, tarragon, salt and pepper. Stir well, then spoon the mixture on top of the shallot.
- Finally, sprinkle the Swiss cheese over each dish and place under the broiler (one rack down so not too close) until the cheese has melted and has turned golden brown.
5.5g net carbs per serving (half the whole recipe)
Nutritional data does not include lemon juice as it is mostly discarded.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 571Total Fat 47gSaturated Fat 20gCholesterol 151mgSodium 357mgCarbohydrates 6.5gNet Carbohydrates 5.5gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 31g