This low carb sausage bake is a delicious and filling dish to make for breakfast, brunch, or lunch! Gluten free, LCHF, and keto friendly recipe.
This post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I realized after I made this recipe that I have two vaguely similar baked sausage dishes on the blog already! But they ARE different. My low carb Egg and Sausage Bake is a simple dish with chopped sausages, whole eggs, cheese, and a little cream. My low carb Breakfast Casserole again has chopped sausages and cheese, but this time with beaten eggs, mushrooms and spinach. By the way both of these recipes are delicious AND have video tutorials – check them out!
THIS recipe uses ground sausage meat. I used mild Italian, but you could also use a hot version or any other variety, as long as the carb count is 0-1g net carbs per serving. I combined the sausage with beaten eggs, shredded Italian cheese, butter, cream, sour cream and a little almond flour for bulk. It's a winning combination of flavors!
Check out all my low carb brunch recipes!
How to Make a Low Carb Sausage Bake
Cook the ground sausage until it is browned all over, then drain any excess liquid and set aside.
Beat some eggs in a large bowl, then add shredded cheese, almond flour, heavy cream, and sour cream.
(By the way sorry for the really weird lighting in these photos – there was some crazy weather going on when I was making this recipe!)
Stir until fully combined. Add the sausage and some melted butter. Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper.
Pour everything into a casserole dish (mine was 10×7″), and sprinkle some additional cheese on top.
Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes uncovered or until the center has cooked through. Cut into six portions and serve.
This is a great make-ahead dish! Let the portions cool completely, then store (covered) in the fridge. You can either eat them cold – they hold together really well – or give them a minute or two in the microwave. A super quick and filling low carb breakfast – done!
- 1 lb ground sausage meat (eg mild Italian)
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups shredded Italian cheese, divided
- ⅓ cup fine almond flour
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbs sour cream
- ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Spray a 10 x 7" casserole dish with non-stick spray or similar.
- Cook the ground sausage until it is browned all over, then drain any excess liquid and set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add one cup of the shredded cheese, plus the almond flour, heavy cream, and sour cream. Stir until fully combined.
- Add the sausage and melted butter. Season with salt and a generous amount of black pepper and mix well.
- Pour everything into the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes uncovered or until the center has cooked through.
- Cut into six portions and serve.
3g net carbs per serving (one sixth of the whole recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size One sixth of the bake
Amount Per Serving Calories 595Total Fat 52gSaturated Fat 23gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 24gCholesterol 252mgSodium 1048mgCarbohydrates 4gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 27g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.