This low carb strawberry sauce tastes amazing with Greek yogurt or low carb vanilla ice cream! Sugar free and keto recipe.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I *love* strawberries. They are just the perfect summer fruit. So one of the things I like to make is a quick strawberry sauce, and serve it over low carb ice cream. My favorite brands of commercially available ice cream are HaloTop and Breyer's CarbSmart – both have a wonderful vanilla flavor. This sauce is also great with my low carb chocolate chip ice cream, and which you can find in my book Low Carb Chocolate Recipes.
How to Make Low Carb Strawberry Sauce
Hull the strawberries and place in a saucepan with lemon juice and sweetener. There are three options I can suggest here:
- Make some homemade simple syrup
- Buy a sugar free sweetener like Da Vinci
- Use a combination of granular sweetener like Lakanto with water (20% off everything in the Lakanto store if you use coupon code SAFTC!)
I've tried all options and like them – what actually makes more of a difference is the variety in sweetness of the strawberries, so you may need to adjust as necessary.
Cook over a low-medium heat, stirring regularly.
The strawberries will start to break down and form the sauce. I like my sauce quite thick, so I usually add a little xanthan gum. This thickens up the liquid and makes it pleasingly gloopy!
Leave to cool slightly and serve warm, or leave to cool fully, cover, and store in the fridge until required.
Low Carb Strawberry Sauce #lowcarb Click To Tweet
- 8 oz fresh strawberries, hulled then halved
- ¼ cup low carb simple syrup, OR Da Vinci sugar free syrup OR 2 tbs granular sweetener (eg Lakanto) with ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp xanthan gum
- Place the strawberries, syrup (or Lakanto plus water) and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Heat over a low-medium heat until the strawberries start to fall apart and a sauce is formed.
- Sprinkle over the xanthan gum to thicken the sauce.
- Serve warm or leave to cool completely then cover and keep in the fridge.
3g net carbs per serving
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size ¼ cup
Amount Per ServingCalories 18 Total Fat 0g Saturated Fat 0g Sodium 5mg Carbohydrates 4g Net Carbohydrates 3g Fiber 1g Sugar 2g