This low carb strawberry sauce tastes amazing with Greek yogurt or low carb vanilla ice cream! Sugar free and keto recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
I *love* strawberries. They are just the perfect summer fruit. So one of the things I like to make is a quick strawberry sauce, and serve it over low carb ice cream. My favorite brands of commercially available ice cream are HaloTop and Breyer's CarbSmart – both have a wonderful vanilla flavor. This sauce is also great with my low carb chocolate chip ice cream, and which you can find in my book Low Carb Chocolate Recipes.
How to Make Low Carb Strawberry Sauce
Hull the strawberries and place in a saucepan with lemon juice and sweetener. There are three options I can suggest here:
- Make some homemade simple syrup
- Buy a sugar free sweetener like Da Vinci
- Use a combination of granular sweetener like Lakanto with water (20% off everything in the Lakanto store if you use coupon code SAFTC!)
I've tried all options and like them – what actually makes more of a difference is the variety in sweetness of the strawberries, so you may need to adjust as necessary.
Cook over a low-medium heat, stirring regularly.
The strawberries will start to break down and form the sauce. I like my sauce quite thick, so I usually add a little xanthan gum. This thickens up the liquid and makes it pleasingly gloopy!
Leave to cool slightly and serve warm, or leave to cool fully, cover, and store in the fridge until required.
Low Carb Strawberry Sauce #lowcarb Click To Tweet
If you'd like some more ideas for low carb ice cream toppings, check out this HUGE list! Shown below over my no carb ice cream!
Low Carb Strawberry Sauce
This low carb strawberry sauce tastes amazing with Greek yogurt or low carb vanilla ice cream! Sugar free recipe.
- 8 oz fresh strawberries, hulled then halved
- ¼ cup low carb simple syrup, OR Da Vinci sugar free syrup OR 2 tbs granular sweetener (eg Lakanto) with ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ⅛ tsp xanthan gum
- Place the strawberries, syrup (or Lakanto plus water) and lemon juice in a saucepan.
- Heat over a low-medium heat until the strawberries start to fall apart and a sauce is formed.
- Sprinkle over the xanthan gum to thicken the sauce.
- Serve warm or leave to cool completely then cover and keep in the fridge.
3g net carbs per serving
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size ¼ cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 18Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gSodium 5mgCarbohydrates 4gNet Carbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 2g
Thursday 26th of September 2019
I only ever use Stevie it's perfect for everything that is sweet.
Sunday 3rd of February 2019
Try the nu-naturals brand instead of the davinci brand. The nu-naturals is sweetened with only stevia. The davinci brand is sweetened with Splenda's sucralose. I used to use davinci in my coffee and I loved that I could get it at my local grocery store too. (convenience is great!), but I have been on a health trip for a few years now and The nu-naturals is the healthiest syrup I have found so far.
Sunday 3rd of February 2019
It sounds great! I know many people are moving away from Splenda products now that there are so many more alternatives these days. I'll look into it!