These marinated red onions are full of wonderful Mediterranean flavors like oregano and lemon.
This post also contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This zingy condiment is so easy to make – and can be ready in just a few hours! I’ve always loved Mediterranean cuisine as we used to vacation in Greece when I lived in the UK. The feta, the moussaka, the Greek salad, the baked chicken with oregano! And I love red onions, too – but find that raw ones can sometimes be too strong. By marinating the onions it softens them in both texture and flavor.
Halve a red onion, remove the skin and then slice it thinly. Separate the slices and place them in a sieve or colander. Put the colander in the sink, then pour over a few cups of boiling water to par-blanch them. Leave to drain.
Mix together white wine vinegar, lemon juice, dried oregano, dried thyme, low carb sweetener (eg granulated Splenda) and salt. Place the red onions in a container, and pour over the marinade.
Leave for 3-4 hours (or overnight!), stirring occasionally. Store in the fridge, and add a few onions to low carb wraps, steaks, salads and more! They are also a key component to my Low Carb Greek Lamb Burger!
Mediterranean Marinated Red Onions - a zingy #lowcarb condiment Click To Tweet
- 1 medium red onion approx 8oz
- ¾ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp granulated Splenda or similar low carb sweetener
- ½ tsp salt
- Peel and halve the onion, then cut into thin slices. Place in a colander or sieve.
- Put the colander in the sink and pour 2-3 cups of boiling water over the onions and leave to drain.
- Mix the remaining ingredients together and stir well.
- Place the onions in a container, and pour over the vinegar mixture.
- Leave to marinate for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. Store in the fridge.
3g net carbs per serving.
Recipes where a marinade is involved are always tricky to work out accurate nutritional data. On this occasion, I have included all ingredients apart from the vinegar which has been halved.