These sautéed tomatillos and zucchini are an easy Mexican-inspired mild side dish that's low carb and keto friendly!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I've used tomatillos a few times on this blog – they're great in salads and it's a key ingredient to making salsa verde. They look like small green tomatoes, but are only distantly related to tomatoes. They grow in a papery husk (called a calyx) and have a pleasant citrus flavor. 100g of tomatillos contains 3.9g net carbs, so great for anyone following a keto diet!
Because this side dish is so mild, it pairs well with many things like steak, fish, chicken, pork, and more! Check out all my keto Mexican food ideas for inspiration!
How to Make Sautéed Tomatillos and Zucchini
Add some butter and olive oil to a large skillet and place over a medium heat. Add some sliced zucchini and sauté for ten minutes, turning frequently. Next, add the tomatillos, onion powder, and dried oregano.
Continue to cook until the zucchini is fully cooked through. Season with salt and black pepper and sprinkle some finely grated Parmesan over the top.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer the veggies to a serving bowl.
The cheese really makes this dish, so don't skip it! For a more authentic flavor you could use crumbled cotija instead, but it's pretty salty so you might want to taste for seasoning after adding the cheese.
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 zucchini, sliced into coins
- 4 tomatillos, husks removed then sliced into wedges
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan
- Add the butter and olive oil to a large skillet and place over a medium heat. Add the zucchini and sauté for ten minutes, turning frequently.
- Next, add the tomatillos, onion powder, and dried oregano. Continue to cook until the zucchini is fully cooked through.
- Season with salt and black pepper and sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the veggies to a serving dish.
4g net carbs per serving
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size Sixth of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 99Total Fat 8gSaturated Fat 3gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 14mgSodium 177mgCarbohydrates 6gNet Carbohydrates 4gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 3g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.