These low carb turkey meatballs are made with ground turkey, ricotta and thyme, then served in a delicious tomato cream sauce!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I don't often cook with turkey; I usually prefer chicken. But the other day I saw a special offer on ground turkey and I really fancied making some meatballs! The addition of ricotta and thyme works so well – try them!
Mix together the ground turkey, onion powder, ricotta, beaten egg, fresh or dried thyme, garlic paste, salt and pepper in a large bowl. You can prepare the meatballs in advance if it is more convenient for you to do so!
Form the mixture into 20 meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Place in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through, turning over half way through cooking time.
Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining canned tomato sauce, thyme, salt and pepper together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and stir in some heavy cream. Add the cooked meatballs, stir well, and serve!
I served the turkey meatballs over shirataki rice – and my whole meal was under 5g net carbs (and I even had TWO servings of meatballs as I was SUPER hungry!).
The meatballs are lovely and soft so you could even skip the sauce and serve them on skewers with a dipping sauce for an appetizer or party food idea.Turkey Meatballs with Thyme and Ricotta #lowcarb Click To Tweet
My husband follows a gluten free diet and loved that these were suitable for him too! Let me know what you think!
Low Carb Turkey Meatballs with Ricotta and Thyme
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup ricotta
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme leaves dried or fresh
- 1 tsp garlic paste or minced garlic
- salt and black pepper
For the sauce
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Form the mixture into 20 meatballs and place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through, turning half way through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the tomato sauce, thyme, salt and pepper together in a saucepan. Bring the boil, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce, stir well, then serve.