These low carb turkey meatballs are made with ground turkey, ricotta and thyme, then served in a delicious tomato cream sauce!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I don't often cook with turkey; I usually prefer chicken. But the other day I saw a special offer on ground turkey and I really fancied making some meatballs! The addition of ricotta and thyme works so well – try them!
Check all my recipes for best low carb meatballs!
How to Make Low Carb Turkey Meatballs with Ricotta and Thyme
Mix together the ground turkey, onion powder, ricotta, beaten egg, fresh or dried thyme, garlic paste, salt and pepper in a large bowl. You can prepare the meatballs in advance if it is more convenient for you to do so!
Form the mixture into 20 meatballs and place on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
Place in a preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until cooked through, turning over half way through cooking time.
Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining canned tomato sauce, thyme, salt and pepper together in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then remove from the heat and stir in some heavy cream. Add the cooked meatballs, stir well, and serve!
I served the turkey meatballs over shirataki rice – and my whole meal was under 5g net carbs (and I even had TWO servings of meatballs as I was SUPER hungry!).
The meatballs are lovely and soft so you could even skip the sauce and serve them on skewers with a dipping sauce for an appetizer or party food idea.Turkey Meatballs with Thyme and Ricotta #lowcarb Click To Tweet
My husband follows a gluten free diet and loved that these were suitable for him too! Let me know what you think!
For the meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ½ cup ricotta
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, dried or fresh
- 1 tsp garlic paste, or minced garlic
- salt and black pepper
For the sauce
- 8 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tbs heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Form the mixture into 20 meatballs and place on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or parchment paper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until cooked through, turning half way through the cooking time.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by combining the tomato sauce, thyme, salt and pepper together in a saucepan. Bring the boil, then remove from the heat and stir in the cream.
- Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce, stir well, then serve.
5g net carbs per serving (5 meatballs, including sauce)
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 5 meatballs and sauce
Amount Per ServingCalories 240 Total Fat 10g Saturated Fat 5g Cholesterol 129mg Sodium 399mg Carbohydrates 5g Net Carbohydrates 5g Fiber 0g Sugar 2g Protein 32g