This cauliflower and fennel soup is very easy to make, and is low carb and keto friendly! Served with low carb garlic “crostini”.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I was looking for some inspiration of what to pair fennel with to make some soup the other day. Popular combinations are potatoes, leeks, carrots, apples, chickpeas, or beans – which aren't particularly low carb! I decided to try it with cauliflower – and it was a success! The result was a simple soup but with a lot of flavor.
At the last minute I decided I wanted to serve this soup with croutons or similar, so I made some easy garlic “crostini”! For the base I used Dixie USA low carb baked bagel chips – which are already super crunchy and the perfect addition to this recipe! Note: the bagel chips are NOT gluten free.
What's in this Article?
How to Make Cauliflower Fennel Soup
Place the cauliflower florets and chopped fennel bulb on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil (remember to save a few fennel fronds for garnish!). Season with salt and pepper and roast in a preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the vegetables start to turn brown.
Blend until smooth, then pour the mixture into a saucepan. Next add some heavy cream, and season with salt and pepper. Heat the soup fully before serving, and garnish with fennel fronds.
If you also want to make the crostini, combine softened butter with garlic paste and Italian seasoning in a bowl, and spread it on the bagel chips.
Place them under the broiler until the butter has fully melted – they only need a couple of minutes. They make a wonderful accompaniment to the soup!
Check out my collection of all the best low carb and keto fennel recipes!
For the Soup
- 10 oz raw cauliflower florets
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- 16 fl oz vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- fennel fronds, optional garnish
For the "Crostini"
- 12 low carb baked bagel chips
- 2 tbs butter, softened
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- To make the soup, place the cauliflower and fennel on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 12-15 minutes or until the edges of the vegetables start to turn brown.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a blender. Add the broth and blend until smooth, then pour the mixture into a saucepan. Add the heavy cream, and season with salt and pepper. Heat the soup fully before serving, and garnish with fennel fronds (if using).
- To make the crostini, combine the butter, garlic paste, and Italian seasoning in a bowl. Spread the mixture on the bagel chips, then place them under a hot broiler until the butter has fully melted - about 2 minutes.
6g net carbs per serving (half the soup).
Crostini are approximately 2.5g net carbs for six chips. Please note these are not gluten free.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 2 cups
Amount Per ServingCalories 281Total Fat 25gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0.4gCholesterol 39mgSodium 1261mgCarbohydrates 11gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 5gSugar 6gProtein 5g