This low carb cheese sauce is made with cheddar cheese and is SO quick and easy to make! Gluten free, LCHF and keto-friendly recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This cheddar cheese sauce is actually adapted from my low carb white sauce recipe – I left out the egg yolk and used shredded cheese to thicken the sauce instead. It's seriously easy to make and ready in just a few minutes!
I'd tried making this sauce with a blend of cheddars and also a single sharp cheddar – and they're both good. It just depends how strong you want the sauce!
How to Make a Low Carb Cheese Sauce
Add some shredded cheddar cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, and water to a medium saucepan.
Cook over a low-medium heat stirring frequently. A non-stick whisk is useful for this recipe!
If the sauce starts to bubble, reduce the heat. Once the cheese has fully melted and the sauce is smooth, remove from the heat. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
You can use this low carb cheese sauce for all kinds of things here are some ideas:
- Mix it with low carb spaghetti
- Serve it over roasted broccoli, cauliflower, or other low carb veggies
- Use it in my Cheesy Noodle Chicken Casserole
- Serve it as a dip for raw veggies like jicama or broccoli
- Substitute it for a white sauce in a low cab lasagna
- Use it in my Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Bake
Or how about changing the flavor profile? You could try different cheeses, add in some herbs, or perhaps a little chipotle pepper or paprika!
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add the cheddar cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, and water to a medium saucepan.
- Cook over a low-medium heat stirring frequently. If the sauce starts to bubble, reduce the heat.
- Once the cheese has fully melted and the sauce is smooth, remove from the heat.
- Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if necessary.
2g net carbs per serving (¼ cup).
This recipe makes approximately one cup of sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size ¼ cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 285Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 94mgSodium 428mgCarbohydrates 2gNet Carbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 8g