These low carb chicken tostadas are a delicious Mexican-inspired recipe with salsa, cheese, avocado, sour cream, and more!
This post may contain affiliate links.
Have you had tostadas before? They're a bit like an open faced quesadilla, but more salady. You'll need some low carb salsa – I recommend Green Mountain Gringo – look for salsa with 2g or less carbs per serving of two tablespoons. And possibly more important is the tortilla; there are lots available these days, so check out my low carb tortilla comparison and review.
You'll also need some cooked chicken – any kind will do including rotisserie chicken. Or it's a great way of using up any leftovers of Mexican shredded chicken! You could also use other timesavers like pre-shredded lettuce and/or cheese, and use guacamole instead of diced avocado!
How to Make Low Carb Chicken Tostadas
Place the low carb tortillas on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or kitchen foil. One tortilla per person is usually enough. I'm currently using Mission Carb Balance Flour Tortillas right now – 4g net carbs per tortilla. Place them under a preheated broiler until crispy but not burnt.
Turn them over and cook until they start to darken at the edges. Add the chicken to the tortillas, and divide some shredded cheese over the top (I use a Mexican blend).
Return to the broiler until the cheese has melted. Next, add some low carb salsa – choose mild, medium, or hot!
At this point you'll probably want to transfer the tostadas to serving plates. Load everything else onto the tostadas: shredded lettuce, diced avocado, sour cream, sliced jalapeños (either pickled or fresh). You'll hardly be able to see the chicken by this point! Finish with a grind of black pepper and serve immediately.
These tostadas are REALLY easy to customize – just load each one up according to tastes and preferences!
You might also like try my recipe for Fried Egg and Avocado Low Carb Tostadas!Low Carb Chicken Tostadas #lowcarb #lowcarbmexican Click To Tweet
- Preheat the broiler (overhead grill) to high).
- Place the low carb tortillas on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or kitchen foil and cook them under the broiler until crispy but not burnt. Turn them over and cook the other side until they start to darken at the edges.
- Add the chicken to the tortillas, and divide some shredded cheese over the top. Return to the broiler until the cheese has melted.
- Transfer the tostadas to serving plates and load them up with salsa, shredded lettuce, diced avocado, sour cream, and sliced jalapeños (if using).
- Finish with a grind of black pepper and serve immediately.
7g net carbs per loaded tostada (based on using tortillas with 4g net carb each)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1 Tostada
Amount Per Serving Calories 553Total Fat 30gSaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 95mgSodium 711mgCarbohydrates 28gNet Carbohydrates 7gFiber 21gSugar 3gProtein 41g