This Mexican shredded chicken can be used for all kinds of low carb and keto dishes! Slow cooker or Instant Pot recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
This shredded chicken is super easy to make in the slow cooker. The chicken stays super soft and juicy, too, because it's cooked with some chicken broth. The chicken is seasoned with a combination of tomato, paprika, cumin, and oregano, which adds fantastic flavor! The cooked chicken is perfect for tostadas, soups, quesadillas, tacos, and more! I also used a version of this to make low carb green chile enchiladas!
How to Make Low Carb Mexican Shredded Chicken
Pour some chicken broth or stock into the base of a slow cooker (or an Instant Pot with slow cooker option, like me!). Add skinless, boneless chicken breasts and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
Open the lid and use two forks to shred the chicken into the broth.
Add tomato paste (I like the kind from a tube!), ground cumin, paprika, dried oregano and salt. Stir well, then cook on high for an additional 15 minutes. Update: You could also replace the tomato and seasonings with some low carb salsa instead!
Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken.
This recipe easily makes enough for four servings – but possibly more depending on how you use it. It's great for loading onto low carb nachos!Low Carb Mexican Shredded Chicken #lowcarb #lowcarbmexican Click To Tweet
- ½ cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts , (approx 1.5lb)
- ¼ cup low carb salsa OR all of the following ingredients:
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- Pour the chicken broth into the base of a slow cooker, then add the chicken breasts. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Open the lid and use two forks to shred the chicken into the broth. Add the salsa or remaining ingredients, stir well, then cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken.
2g net carbs per serving based on 4 servings
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 215Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 108mgSodium 532mgCarbohydrates 3gNet Carbohydrates 2gFiber 1gProtein 37g