This Mexican shredded chicken recipe can be used for all kinds of low carb dishes!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
This shredded chicken is super easy to make in the slow cooker. The chicken stays super soft and juicy, too, because it’s cooked with some chicken broth. The chicken is seasoned with a combination of tomato, paprika, cumin, and oregano, which adds fantastic flavor! The cooked chicken is perfect for tostadas, soups, quesadillas, tacos, and more!
Pour some chicken broth or stock into the base of a slow cooker (or an Instant Pot with slow cooker option, like me!). Add skinless, boneless chicken breasts and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
Open the lid and use two forks to shred the chicken into the broth.
Add tomato paste (I like the kind from a tube!), ground cumin, paprika, dried oregano and salt. Stir well, then cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken.
Low Carb Mexican Shredded Chicken #lowcarb #lowcarbmexican Click To Tweet
- ½ cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 large skinless boneless chicken breasts (approx 1.5lb)
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- Pour the chicken broth into the base of a slow cooker, then add the chicken breasts. Cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- Open the lid and use two forks to shred the chicken into the broth. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, then cook on high for an additional 15 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken.
2g net carbs per serving based on 4 servings
This recipe easily makes enough for four servings – but possibly more depending on how you use it. I used half of it to make some low carb nachos, then used the remainder for quick lunches!
Check out my Low Carb Mexican Recipes Ebook!
If you adore Mexican food, you'll love this ebook collection of 18 delicious low carb Mexican recipes!