This low carb clam chowder is a delicious lunch recipe that is packed with flavor!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
I’m in a real seafood mood at the moment. Did you see my recent lobster tail recipe? Sooo good! I’m eating lots of shrimp, too. I found a can of chopped clams in the cupboard the other day and decided to make a low carb version of a clam chowder. It’s not as thick as a traditional version, but it’s loaded with mushrooms and has a great flavor!
Melt some butter in a large saucepan and add chopped green onions, a little olive oil, and sliced mushrooms. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms have started to soften.
Add a can of chopped clams INCLUDING THE LIQUID (sorry, had to write that in capitals in case you thought of draining it!), broth or stock (vegetable, fish or even chicken would do) and a small amount of xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is a zero carb thickener that works really well and you really don’t need that much! Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for five minutes.
Add heavy cream, stir to mix then test for seasoning. Add salt and pepper as necessary. Pour into serving bowls and garnish with chopped fresh parsley. This is a wonderful lunch dish for two – or even divide it between 3 or 4 people and serve it as an appetizer.
Low Carb Clam Chowder with Mushrooms #lowcarb Click To Tweet
Low Carb Clam Chowder with MushroomsPrint
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 green onions chopped
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 6.5 oz can of chopped clams including juice
- 1 cup broth or stock vegetable, fish or chicken
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ½ cup heavy cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the olive oil, green onions and mushrooms. Saute for 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms start to soften.
- Add the clams (with their juice), the stock or broth, then sprinkle over the xanthan gum. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, heat through then test for seasoning. Add salt and black pepper if necessary.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with the chopped parsley.
7g net carbs per serving