This low carb clam chowder is a delicious recipe that is packed with flavor! It's naturally thickened with cauliflower and has some added buttery mushrooms!
This post may contain affiliate links.
I'm in a real seafood mood at the moment. Did you see my recent lobster tail recipe? Sooo good! I'm eating lots of shrimp, too – see all my low carb shrimp recipes!
I found a can of chopped clams in the cupboard the other day and decided to make a low carb version of a clam chowder. It's naturally thickened with pureed cauliflower, and loaded with buttery mushrooms!
How to Make Low Carb Clam Chowder with Mushrooms
Roughly chop some raw cauliflower and add it to a large saucepan together with some chicken broth (I love Kettle & Fire bone broth – SO good!) and unsweetened almond milk.
Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt some butter in a large skillet and add some sliced white mushrooms. Cook until tender.
Carefully transfer the cauliflower and liquid to a blender and blend until smooth. Return it to the saucepan, and add the mushrooms, a can of chopped clams INCLUDING THE LIQUID (sorry, had to write that in capitals in case you thought of draining it!), and some heavy cream. Warm through, then test for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary.
Pour into serving bowls and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
This is a wonderful filling lunch for two people – but carb count may be a little high for some at 9g net per serving of half the recipe. I recommend making it into three portions – it reheats very well if necessary!
If you love all things chowder and soup, check out my top low carb soups!
Low Carb Clam Chowder with Mushrooms
This low carb clam chowder is a delicious recipe that is packed with flavor. Gluten free, keto, and LCHF recipe.
- 8 oz raw cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chicken, fish, or vegetable broth
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 4 oz sliced white mushrooms
- 6.5 oz can of chopped clams, including juice
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, chopped
- Roughly chop the cauliflower and add it to a large saucepan together with the broth and unsweetened almond milk.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet and add the mushrooms. Cook until tender.
- Carefully transfer the cauliflower and liquid to a blender and blend until smooth. Return it to the saucepan, and add the mushrooms, clams (including the liquid), and heavy cream. Warm through, then test for seasoning, adding salt and pepper as necessary.
- Pour into serving bowls and garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
6g net carbs per serving (1 cup)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 3 Serving Size 1 cup
Amount Per Serving Calories 226Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 9.6gTrans Fat 0.3gCholesterol 63mgSodium 509mgCarbohydrates 8gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 13g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.
Thursday 25th of August 2016
My husband would love this! He loves clam chowder and mushroom soup.
Maya | Wholesome Yum
Wednesday 24th of August 2016
I love clam chowder! Such a great idea to make it with mushrooms.
Tuesday 23rd of August 2016
Thanks so much for this recipe! My grandpa always made clam chowder growing up, it has a special place in my heart and I haven't been able to eat it for years. I'm so excited to try this!
Tuesday 23rd of August 2016
This looks so easy! Thanks for the great recipe!
Kim | Low Carb Maven
Monday 22nd of August 2016
I love clam chowder but haven't had it for years. This sounds so yummy. Thanks for the recipe!