This comforting low carb lamb stew is made in the slow cooker.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
A meat stew made in the slow cooker is one of those recipes that you *think* is going to be low carb, but can be deceptively high. This is usually due to the inclusion of starchy root vegetables such as potatoes and carrots. Not every vegetable stands up to low and slow cooking, though, so you need to choose your alternatives wisely. Enter… turnip. Yes, turnip. True, it isn’t a glamorous vegetable, but I have used it successfully many times before – like in my Turnip Fries recipe and also to add bulk (but not many carbs) to my Butternut Squash Hash recipe.
Turnips work really well in this lamb stew, and I’ve also added some mushrooms – because I love the way they get more deeply savory the more you cook them! You can eat this stew on its own like a soup, or with something absorbent like cauliflower rice or shirataki rice. For the final photos in this post I have served it with Cardamom Cauliflower Rice, which paired perfectly with the stew.
Preparing the low carb lamb stew is easy; simply add the following to a slow cooker bowl: boneless lamb stewing meat, peeled and chopped turnips, sliced or quartered mushrooms, beef broth, onion powder, garlic paste, salt and pepper. You could also add in some red wine if your diet allows.
Cook on a high heat for 3 hours, or low heat for 6 hours. When cooked, the lamb will be super tender and the turnips cooked through.
Check for seasoning again and add more if needed. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the lamb and vegetables to a serving dish, then spoon over some of the sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
Low Carb Lamb Stew #lowcarb #slowcooker #keto Click To Tweet
Low Carb Lamb StewPrint
- 1 lb boneless lamb stewing meat
- 8 oz turnips peeled and chopped
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced or quartered
- 14 oz can of beef broth
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- ¼ cup red wine optional
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley to garnish
- Add the lamb, turnips,mushrooms, beef broth, onion powder, garlic paste, red wine (if using), salt and pepper to the bowl of a small slow cooker.
- Cook on a high heat for 3 hours, or low heat for 6 hours. When cooked, the lamb will be super tender and the turnips cooked through.
- Check for seasoning again and add more if needed. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the lamb and vegetables to a serving dish, then spoon over some of the sauce.
- Garnish with chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley.
9g net carbs per (large) serving
Nutritional data includes all the liquid/sauce, so eventual carb count may be lower
Fancy a beef stew instead? I love this recipe from Low Carb Maven!