This low carb faux Danish pastry is made in the microwave! A quick and tasty single-serve recipe that's sugar free and gluten free!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
There are many recipes online for various combinations of cream cheese and egg. Cloud Bread is one that I've made before, but there are also cream cheese puffs or mock danish recipes around too. A simple recipe I found for making in the microwave calls for cream cheese, egg, sweetener, and vanilla. Mix it all up, then cook until puffed up. I decided to adapt this into something more like a Danish – and that included some sort of fruit element and cream cheese icing.
The final result may have a different texture from a high-carb Danish pastry, however:
- It tastes actually similar to a Danish
- It takes less than five minutes to prepare and cook
- It's so easy that you can have it for breakfast or a sweet snack
- It is sugar free and low carb
- It looks a *bit* like a Danish 🙂
How to Make a Low Carb Microwave Faux Danish
Add cream cheese, low carb sweetener (I used classic Lakanto), and water to a small bowl, and microwave on half power for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth, and add more water as necessary to make it pourable. Set aside.
In a separate microwave-safe bowl, beat an egg. Add some more cream cheese and more sweetener. Whisk with a fork to combine as much as possible (there will still be small lumps of cream cheese).
Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds, whisk again. Repeat until the mixture is smooth.
Cook it for one minute or until the center isn't runny. Transfer to a serving plate (but this is optional!), then place a spoonful of jam in the center. Here are some options:
- Good Good keto-friendly jam – my favorite option for this recipe!
- Raspberry puree (I had some leftover once after making my Santa cocktail!)
- Homemade low carb strawberry sauce,
- Smucker's sugar free jam (sweetened with Splenda)
- Homemade low carb cranberry sauce
- Low carb fruit spread from La Nouba
Finally, drizzle the original cream cheese mixture over the top, then dig in!
And there you have it – my super quick and tasty version of a Danish!
for the topping
- 1 oz (about 2 tbs) cream cheese, room temperature*
- 2 tsp classic Lakanto sweetener
- 1 tbs water
for the "pastry"
- 2 oz (approx 4 tbs) cream cheese, room temperature*
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tbs classic Lakanto sweetener
for the "filling"
- To make the topping, add the cream cheese, sweetener, and water to a small bowl, and microwave on half power for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth, and add more water as necessary to make it pourable. Set aside.
- To make the "pastry" base, add the egg, cream cheese, and sweetener to a separate microwave-safe bowl. Whisk with a fork to combine as much as possible (there will still be small lumps of cream cheese).
- Cook in the microwave for 30 seconds, whisk again. Repeat again until the mixture is smooth, then cook for one minute or until the center isn't runny.
- Transfer to a serving plate (but this is optional!), then place a spoonful of jam in the center.
- Finally, drizzle the original cream cheese mixture over the top, then dig in!
5g net carbs (whole recipe, not including fruit sauce or jam as there are too many variables - see the main post for options.)
*The cream cheese does not have to be room temperature but it will blend better if it is not super cold.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size Whole recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 369Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 19gCholesterol 272mgSodium 338mgCarbohydrates 5gNet Carbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 3.4gProtein 12g