These loaded radishes are a fantastic low carb side dish; with heaps of cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions!
This post may contain affiliate links.
OK so I'm a little obsessed with “loaded” recipes at the moment – I think it means that the dish contains a lot of cheese and usually bacon! In the past I've loaded chicken breasts, cauliflower mash, and avocados! The loaded baked avocados are actually a surprisingly good alternative to a baked potato – try it! So when I saw a recipe on Delish recently for loaded potatoes, I just knew that I needed a low carb alternative.
Radishes were my obvious choice. Roasted radishes are one of my favorite alternatives to potatoes, and I just love the slight hint of pepperiness that remains after most of the flavor mellows. So here you have it – loaded roasted radishes!
How to Make Loaded Radishes
Fry some chopped bacon in a cast iron skillet or oven-safe pan until crispy.
Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the bacon fat. If you have particularly lean bacon you might like to add a little olive oil at this point. Add some halved radishes and turn to coat in the fat and/or oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Roast in a preheat oven for 20 minutes or until nearly fork-tender. Add some shredded cheese (I use a triple cheddar blend, but anything with good flavor that melts well would work!), and the cooked bacon.
Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bacon has warmed through. Garnish with sliced green onions, but let cool at least 5 minutes before serving – the water content in the radishes retains a lot of heat!
Although I'm calling this recipe a side dish, it could very well serve two people on its own for a lunch or supper. If you plan to serve it with something more substantial than a piece of grilled fish, you'll find that it serves three or four people.
Just look at those colors!!!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb radishes, trimmed and halved
- salt and black pepper
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Fry the bacon in a cast iron skillet (or oven safe pan) until crispy.
- Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, leaving the bacon fat. If you have particularly lean bacon you might like to add a little olive oil at this point. Add the radishes and turn to coat in the fat and/or oil. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until nearly fork-tender. Add the shredded cheese and the cooked bacon.
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the bacon has warmed through.
- Garnish with the green onions, but let cool at least 5 minutes before serving - the water content in the radishes retains a lot of heat!
4g net carbs per serving (quarter of the recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the skillet
Amount Per Serving Calories 161Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 32mgSodium 523mgCarbohydrates 6gNet Carbohydrates 4gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 10g
Nutritional information for this recipe is provided as a courtesy and is my best approximation. I cannot guarantee completely accurate data due to variations in ingredients and cooking methods. Carbohydrates from sugar alcohols are not included in net carb counts as it has been shown that they do not impact blood sugar. Net carbs are the total carbs minus fiber.