This low carb Mexican fish recipe features roasted cod, salsa, cheese, avocado – and more! A fantastic keto-friendly blend of flavors, colors, and textures.
This post may contain affiliate links.
The idea for this recipe is from my mother, who described to me a dish called “Crunchy Salsa Cod” and thought it would make a good low carb recipe – and she was right! And you could use pretty much any fish for this recipe – haddock, tilapia, flounder, mahi-mahi, catfish, swordfish…
And although I don't often combine cheese and fish in one recipe, with all the other flavors it really works here. And it all comes together surprisingly quickly!
You might also like my low carb Tuna Tacos!
How to Make Low Carb Mexican Fish
Place two fish fillets onto a small baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or kitchen foil. My fillets were HUGE – about 8 oz each but they don't need to be that big! Spread some low carb salsa over the fish – and this is where you can control the heat of the dish. I used Green Mountain Gringo Medium salsa, but it is also available on mild and hot.
Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the salsa (I used a Mexican blend).
Roast in a preheated oven for 10-12 minutes until the fish is cooked through – this will depend on the thickness of the fillets. Meanwhile, mix together diced avocado, fresh cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
When the fish is cooked, add the crunchy topping. I used crushed-up low carb corn chips (like in my Taco Casserole!), but you could also use leftover low carb tortilla chips – or for gluten free skip the chips completely.
Next, top the fish with the avocado mixture. Finish with a little extra black pepper, and serve!
There's so much going on in this dish – colors, flavors AND textures!!
As you can see I served the fish with a simple salad – which was plenty because the fillets were so large. To make it more substantial, serve it with something like low carb arroz verde or jicama slaw.
Check out all my keto Mexican food ideas!
Low Carb Mexican Fish
This low carb Mexican fish recipe features roasted cod, salsa, cheese, avocado - and more! A fantastic keto-friendly blend of flavors, colors, and textures.
- 2 cod fillets, approx 6-8 oz each
- 4 tbs low carb salsa
- 4 tbs shredded cheese (eg Mexican blend)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- salt and black pepper
- 4 tbs crushed low carb corn or tortilla chips
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Place two fish fillets onto a small baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or kitchen foil. Spread the salsa over the fish and sprinkle the cheese over the salsa.
- Roast for 10-12 minutes until the fish is cooked through - this will depend on the thickness of the fillets.
- Meanwhile, mix together the avocado, cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- When the fish is cooked, add the crushed chips, and top with the avocado mixture. Finish with a little extra black pepper, and serve!
4g net carbs per serving (half the recipe)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size Half the recipe
Amount Per Serving Calories 425Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 107mgSodium 568mgCarbohydrates 12gNet Carbohydrates 4gFiber 8gSugar 2gProtein 47g