This low carb taco casserole is a comforting and hearty dish with ground beef, salsa, cheese, black olives and so much more!
This post may contain affiliate links.
We all know what tacos are – a delicious Mexican hand-held soft or hard tortilla, stuffed with protein, guacamole, salsa, cheese, sour cream and much more. On this blog I have yummy low carb shrimp tacos, summer squash tacos, and mushroom and poblano tacos.
But taco in the singular has come to mean the meat used in a taco – traditionally ground beef – although my low carb turkey taco skillet is one of my most popular recipes! I have also made a low carb taco soup and a low carb taco salad!
This recipe takes the same idea and rolls with it – casserole style! Layers of salsa, sour cream, seasoned ground beef, and cheese are all topped with black olives and tortilla chips, then finished with shredded lettuce, avocado, and jalapeños. It's actually rather like a version of my layered dip – with added beef and served warm! It's a fantastically comforting dish for a cold day.
How to Make a Low Carb Taco Casserole
Spread some sour cream over the salsa – it's hard to do this evenly so don't worry about making it perfect.
When the beef has cooked, drain any excess liquid, then season with equal parts dried oregano, paprika, and ground cumin – otherwise known as my low carb Mexican seasoning blend!
Spoon the beef into the dish, then cover with a layer of shredded cheese and sliced black olives. I really wanted something crunchy on top, so I used some of these low carb corn chips. Or you could also make homemade tortilla chips and use those, or for gluten free skip them completely!
Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Top with shredded lettuce, diced avocado, and sliced fresh jalapeños, then serve warm.
All the layers work so well together!
This dish is easy to reheat, although you might want to skip adding the lettuce and avocado until ready to eat!
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Brown off the beef in a large skillet. While it is cooking, add a layer of low carb salsa to the base of a baking dish.
- Spread the sour cream over the salsa - it's hard to do this evenly so don't worry about making it perfect.
- When the beef has cooked, drain any excess liquid, then season with the dried oregano, paprika, and ground cumin.
- Spoon the beef into the dish, then cover with a layer of shredded cheese, black olives, and low carb tortilla chips.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese has fully melted. Top with shredded lettuce, diced avocado, and sliced jalapeños, then serve warm.
6g net carbs per serving (a quarter of the casserole)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the casserole
Amount Per Serving Calories 597Total Fat 44gSaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 146mgSodium 597mgCarbohydrates 12gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 6gSugar 3gProtein 40g
Adapted from The Cozy Cook