This low carb spinach lasagna doesn't contain any pasta – but uses sliced deli chicken instead to create the layers! Gluten free and LCHF recipe.
This post may contain affiliate links.
So although I already have three lasagna recipes on this site – they're all completely different! My regular low carb lasagna uses tortillas instead of pasta sheets. My five-ingredient Mexican lasagna also uses tortillas but has a different flavor profile, and my Fathead lasagna uses – you guessed it – rolled out fathead dough instead of pasta!
My latest recipe was inspired by my chicken meatza recipe – I figured that if you could use chicken to make a pizza dough – how about using thinly sliced chicken as a substitute for lasagna sheets? And I decided to give it a spinach ricotta filling instead of a more traditional meat sauce.
The combination works REALLY well – and so filling! Oh and the chicken doesn't have to be fancy, either – just the pre-sliced chicken in a pack is all you need!
How to Make a Low Carb Spinach Lasagna
First, make the tomato sauce by combining canned tomato sauce with dried oregano and garlic powder. Set aside.
Make the spinach filling by placing frozen chopped spinach (cooked and thoroughly drained) into a separate bowl together with some ricotta, a beaten egg, shredded Parmesan, salt, and a LOT of black pepper.
Spoon a little of the tomato sauce over the base of a baking dish.
Add four slices of chicken (or turkey!) over the sauce. Cover the chicken with a third of the spinach mixture, then cover that with a quarter of the remaining tomato sauce.
Repeat two more times, then add a final layer of chicken, followed by the remaining quarter of tomato sauce.
Cover and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes, then uncover and sprinkle some shredded cheese over the top (I used Italian blend but mozzarella would also work).
Return to the oven (uncovered) for another 8-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling.
Let rest for five minutes before serving.
This lasagna contains around 9g net carbs for a filling serving – which might be a little too high for those of you on keto. Instead, try dividing into six portions and adding a side salad!
- 15 oz canned tomato sauce
- 1 tbs dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 x 12 oz bags frozen spinach, cooked and thoroughly drained
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup shredded Parmesan
- salt and black pepper
- 16 slices thinly sliced deli chicken (or turkey) (approx 7 oz)
- ½ cup shredded cheese (eg Italian blend or mozzarella)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Make the sauce by combining the canned tomato sauce with the oregano and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Next, make the spinach filling by placing the spinach into a separate bowl together with the ricotta, beaten egg, shredded Parmesan, salt, and a LOT of black pepper.
- Spoon a little of the tomato sauce over the base of a baking dish.
- Add four slices of chicken over the sauce. Cover the chicken with a third of the spinach mixture, then cover that with a quarter of the remaining tomato sauce.
- Repeat two more times, then add a final layer of chicken, followed by the remaining quarter of tomato sauce.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Return to the oven (uncovered) for another 8-10 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- Let rest for five minutes before serving.
9g net carbs per serving (quarter of the lasagna)
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size Quarter of the lasagna
Amount Per Serving Calories 381Total Fat 21gSaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 130mgSodium 1125mgCarbohydrates 18gNet Carbohydrates 9gFiber 9gSugar 5gProtein 34g