Rise and shine, breakfast lovers! Say goodbye to boring, store bought sausages and give a warm welcome to these homemade keto breakfast sausage patties. They will make your mornings sizzle!
Start your day off right with our mouthwatering homemade breakfast sausages! These crowd-pleasing patties are not only easy to make, but they also guarantee a sensational breakfast experience. With complete control over the ingredients, you can ensure that every bite is packed with high-quality, nutritious goodness. And you can be sure they're keto friendly too.
These homemade breakfast sausage patties are the ultimate breakfast superstars! They're incredibly versatile – enjoy them on their own, whip up a mouthwatering keto breakfast casserole, or indulge in a low carb full English breakfast!
And the best part? They're meal prep magic! Whip up a massive batch, stash them in the freezer, and savor them whenever your taste buds desire. The breakfast possibilities are endless with these delectable patties!
The key to perfect homemade breakfast sausage patties? The right ingredients. Here's what you need:
- Ground Pork
- Seasonings: sage, thyme, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Keto Friendly Maple Syrup. This is optional, but highly recommended. You can replicate that classic maple flavor with something like Lakanto's keto-friendly maple flavored syrup.
- Olive Oil – for frying the patties.
Making the Keto Sausage Patties
To make the breakfast sausage patties, begin by combining all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Use your hands to mix everything together.
Divide the sausage mixture into portions that are about ¼ cup in size and shape them into patties that are about ½” thick. No need to stress about exact measurements – it's okay to estimate!
Cooking the Breakfast Sausages
There are two methods to choose from when cooking homemade breakfast sausage patties.
Cooking on the Stovetop
To cook sausages on the stovetop, heat olive oil in a frying pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Afterward, transfer the cooked sausages to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up any extra grease.
For a crisper texture, it is recommended that you cook the patties in a preheated cast iron skillet, as this will result in more consistent cooking.
Cooking in the Oven
To cook a large batch of sausage patties all at once, baking is a great option. First, preheat the oven to 375°F. Then, line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Next, arrange the patties on the pan and bake them for 15-20 minutes.
If you would like to store the cooked patties for future use, simply put them in a freezer bag or airtight container. To warm them up, microwave for 2-3 minutes or until they are heated all the way through.
Regardless of the method chosen, ensure that the patties are cooked thoroughly before consuming. If using a thermometer for verification, it should read approximately 160°F.
Tasty Ways to Use Breakfast Sausages
The possibilities are endless with these homemade breakfast sausages! Here are just a few of my favorite ways to enjoy them:
Make keto sausage gravy.
Make a breakfast sandwich.
Use these homemade sausages to build a low carb sausage and egg sandwich. It's just like a classic breakfast sandwich – without the carby muffin.
Throw them in a casserole.
Wrap them up!
Use your sausages to stuff your own keto breakfast burrito or these totally indulgent breakfast enchiladas!
Storing & Reheating the Sausage Patties
Refrigerate cooked sausage patties in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
To store sausage patties for longer, freeze them for up to two months. To freeze, let the cooked patties cool to room temperature. Then store them in a freezer bag or airtight container, labeled with the date for tracking.
To reheat sausage patties, thaw them overnight in the fridge and then warm in the oven or microwave.
More Tasty Keto Recipes
If you love these keto breakfast sausages, be sure to check out these other breakfast ideas:
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 3-4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 Tablespoons keto-friendly maple syrup, optional for sweeter flavor
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, as needed
- In a medium-sized bowl, use your hands to combine the ground pork and uncooked, chopped bacon.
- Season with sage, thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper and nutmeg and combine well.
- Sweeten with the keto friendly maple syrup, as desired.
- Place 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- As the oil heats, portion out the sausage mixture in 1/4 cup portions and form into flat 1/2" thick patties.
- Cook the sausage patties, 4 at a time, in the hot oil for 3-4 minutes per side, until well browned and an inserted thermometer reaches 145F minimum.
- Repeat with all patties, adding extra olive oil as needed.
If you would like to freeze a batch of these breakfast sausages, portion them out and freeze prior to cooking Then thaw and continue cooking, when ready to serve.