Have you tried bacon fried cabbage? It's a fantastic way to cook cabbage, and it makes a wonderful low carb side dish!
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
OK. I'll admit it. Cabbage is NOT the most interesting vegetable. But as one cup of chopped cabbage (approximately 89g) contains just 3.8g net carbs, it definitely has a place in the low carb repertoire. However, other than my Horseradish Coleslaw (which is SO good), I haven't got any cabbage recipes on this blog! At first I was unsure how to cook it.
But what's the best way to cook a vegetable? Add bacon to it, of course! It's a simple trick – but it works! Here are some examples:
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan and Bacon
- Green Beans with Bacon
- Cauliflower Fried Rice with Bacon, Asparagus and Poached Eggs
- Low Carb Avocado, Bacon and Cheese Melt
- Low Carb Creamed Spinach with Celeriac and Bacon
- Low Carb Mushroom and Bacon Sauce
With some of these recipes, the bacon is just there because it's well… bacon. In others, it's there because of the melted bacon fat, too – like in this recipe! The bacon fat enhances the whole dish, and it gives the cabbage such a fantastic flavor.
What's in this Article?
How to Make Low Carb Bacon Fried Cabbage
In a large skillet, cook some chopped bacon until crispy. Smells so good!
Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage by cutting it into quarters, then removing the core. Cut the quarters into slices, then chop into shreds.
Remove the bacon from the skillet but leave the oil. Add the chopped cabbage, together with some onion powder and garlic powder. Cook until the cabbage is done – about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add the bacon back in.
Serve immediately! This would be a great low carb side dish to go with chicken, pork, or steak!
Is cabbage low carb?
One twelfth of a head of cabbage (about 3 oz) contains 3g net carbs – definitely making it a low carb vegetable!
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- salt and black pepper
- In a large skillet, cook some chopped bacon until crispy. Smells so good!
- Meanwhile, prepare the cabbage by cutting it into quarters, then removing the core. Cut the quarters into slices, then chop into shreds.
- Remove the bacon from the skillet but leave the oil. Add the chopped cabbage, together with some onion powder and garlic powder. Cook until the cabbage is done - about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then add the bacon back in.
- Serve immediately!
6g net carbs per serving (one sixth of the whole recipe).
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size Sixth of the recipe
Amount Per ServingCalories 159Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 19mgSodium 220mgCarbohydrates 9gNet Carbohydrates 6gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 5g
Check out my Low Carb Side Dish Recipes Ebook!
Need more easy low carb side dish recipes? My ebook features 18 dishes that need 5 ingredients or less!