Your food will never be boring when you eat the low carb rainbow! Here’s my guide to all the best naturally colorful low carb fruit, vegetables, and proteins.
The following post contains affiliate links, which means that at no extra cost to you I can make a tiny bit of money to help support this blog. Thank you!
Have you ever heard the expression “eating with your eyes”? This article is all about making your food COLORFUL. Just because you’re on a diet, doesn’t mean that your food shouldn’t look nice! So here’s a list of low carb foods that – when put together in a suitable combination – can really make your plate pop with color!
You’ll probably not be surprised to see that the list for blue low carb food is pretty short, and the list for green low carb food is much longer! But there are plenty of other colors to keep you interested!
I’ve included fruit, vegetables, and protein – but if you have more suggestions – let me know! Note: Some of these items (like beets and butternut squash) should only be eaten in moderation. Please refer to nutrition data panels or articles like Low Carb Vegetables and Low Carb Fruit for specifics on carbohydrate count.
Purple Low Carb Food:
- Red cabbage
- Purple asparagus
- Blackberries – try my low carb blackberry cheesecakes!
- Beets (not pickled)
- Purple cauliflower – never heard of it? Check out my low carb purple cauliflower soup!
Blue Low Carb Food:
- Blue cheese – try my decadent blue cheese sauce!
Green Low Carb Food:
- Green bell pepper
- Asparagus – how about these low carb asparagus fries!
- Bok Choy
- Fennel – try my low carb fennel gratin!
- Cucumber – make these “coodles“!
- Avocado – you’ll love this low carb avocado, cheese, and bacon melt!
- Brussels sprouts
- Arugula – perfect for a tasty salad!
- Green onions
Yellow Low Carb Food:
- Yellow bell pepper
- Summer squash (yellow zucchini) – anyone for low carb summer squash tacos?!?
- Lemon – you’ll love this low carb lemon smoothie!
- Egg yolks
- Yellow cherry tomatoes
Orange Low Carb Food:
- Orange bell pepper
- Pumpkin – see all my low carb pumpkin recipes!
- Cantaloupe melon
- Butternut squash
- Cheese – you’ll find some many uses for this delicious low carb cheese sauce!
Red Low Carb Food:
- Red bell pepper – try my low carb stuffed peppers!
- Pepperoni – fancy a snack? Try these easy pepperoni chips – made in the microwave!
- Red jalapeños
- Tomatoes – this fragrant tomato cream sauce pairs perfectly with shrimp!
- Radishes – try them roasted for a lower carb alternative to potatoes!
- Raspberries – you’ll love this raspberry and mascarpone ice cream!
Have you got any other low carb “rainbow food” suggestions? Share them in the comments below!
Rainbow background in main image used with permission from Freepik.com
Check out my Low Carb Starter Pack Ebook!
Are you just beginning your low carb journey? Check out my starter pack of printables!